Procedures for Adverse Weather
Winter Weather Information
The decision to keep schools open or to close them during winter weather conditions is not a simple one, but it is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of our students, their families, and staff. DPS Transportation has made preparations to ensure buses are running and students arrive safely to school. Our drivers participate in a comprehensive training program that includes preparation for driving in inclement weather and adverse conditions like wintry weather.
Weather Delay Schedule:
New for the 2019-20 school year, all DPS schools (regardless of start time) will be delayed by two hours if a Weather Delay is called by DPS. This Weather Delay Schedule is designed to provide school buses additional time to pick up students and reduce student wait time in severe weather. The decision to close or delay school will be made by the Superintendent based on information provided by representatives from DPS Transportation Services, transportation agencies and the weather bureau. Please review Winter Delay guide outlining procedures. We apologize for any confusion. Going forward ECE AM ( ECE 3 1/2 day program) will be canceled per district procedures.
School Closing: If schools are to be closed due to weather conditions, the district is committed to making a decision as early as possible. The decision to close is made by the Superintendent based on information provided by representatives from transportation agencies, the weather bureau, city and county law enforcement and DPS Transportation. If school is cancelled, this information will be communicated in the following ways:
- The Communications Office will immediately notify local television and radio stations, which will broadcast regular announcements of school closures. You can also visitthe DenverChannel.com, com, KDVR.com and denver.cbslocal.com. Notifications in Spanish will be made on radio newscasts on 1150 AM, 1280 AM and 1090 AM.
- Emergency school closures are posted on org immediately.
- Announcements to close or delay school will also be posted to the district‘s Facebook and Twitter
- A message denoting the closure will also be left on the school district’s closure hotline at 720.423.3200, as well on the DPS Transportation hotline at 720.423.4600.
- DPS employees should check their e-mails regularly.
- DPS transportation employees will be notified by Bus Bulletin via call, text or email.
Schools Open During Inclement Weather: The required transportation will be provided. However, services may be modified to ensure both driver and student safety and welfare. Traffic conditions may require students to spend additional time en route to school, special activities, programs or home. Buses could be delayed up to 15 minutes due to the inclement weather. This information will be posted to the Transportation hotline 720.423.4600.
Severe Weather During School Day: DPS will closely monitor severe weather conditions and forecasts throughout the day to ensure student safety. Should severe weather begin during the school day, bus routes will run in the same order as normally followed in the afternoon. Depending on conditions, arrival times at home may be delayed. After-school activities (athletic events, enrichment programs, etc.) may be modified or cancelled as a result of the weather conditions.